Sunday, March 7, 2010

March 7



























Hello, and welcome to "Things I Have Scanned" day here at the blog.

This is an an illustration from a 1928 children's book, The Little Pig Who Ate a Four-Leaf Clover.  Maybe you have read it?

It was my dad's book when he was a child and he must have been very proud of it:  his name is written on the first three pages, including one page that has a bookplate!  
It is the tale of a pig named Chops, and his adventures on the way to Florida from his home in New Hampshire.  Here's a sample:

"Now, my dear little pig," said the man kindly, after Chops had been introduced, "I think you are very foolish to go to Florida.  It would be a long journey for you, as well as a dangerous one, for many Southerners are fond of roast pig, especially tender baby pig.  I would advise you to remain right here in New York."

I won't give away the plot, in case you want to read the book.  If you do read it, though, watch for characters named Porktricia, Lardia, Squeals, and Hamie.  (Those last two dance the Charleston.  But you probably predicted that plot point!)

Lubbock, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment