Thursday, April 15, 2010

April 15


























My mom always grew iris in the yard - and not just those generic yellow ones, either.  She had black ones and cantaloupe-colored ones, white-over-purple, brown, and (this one was my favorite), white.  I can remember staying up at night when the iris were in bloom, worrying that the strong winds would destroy the delicate flowers.  (I took things hard back then.  And I am pretty sure one could make the argument that I haven't changed.  At all.)

I keep a few iris in my yard, but over the years the colorful ones I got from my mom's yard have dwindled and just the generic yellow ones are left.  I suppose if I understood plant genetics, I would know why that happened - although I suppose there is a slight chance that it might have something to do with my hands-off gardening philosophy.

Today's rain left water hanging onto the bud of this iris.

Lubbock, Texas

(Flower lens by C. D. V.)

No comments:

Post a Comment