Saturday, December 25, 2010

December 25


















My sister-in-law and brother-in-law got me this game for Christmas.  It's called Rory's Story Cubes, and the box says it's a "pocket-sized creative story generator" - you are supposed to roll the cubes and make up a story based on the pictures.

So, let's see....

It was just after the terrible tee-pee accident - I was still using a cane, actually, as my knee wasn't 100% yet - when I went to the drama festival downtown.  The play I was going to see was going to be presented in the new skyscraper that was only one story taller than the next-tallest building in town.  Anyway, I had chosen to see an avant garde production called "Magic Eyeball."  There were only a few people in the audience; most of the festival goers were sheep-like in their decision to see "Les Miserables" (some of them for the fourth or fifth time).  I was, as a result, the only person sitting on my row; because I'd bought the ticket early, I was on Row C, right in the center.  Luckily, the seats on either side were empty, and I was able to put my cane on the seat next to me.

The play was terrible.  In fact, it was one of the worst things I've ever seen.  By three minutes in, I knew I wanted to leave.  Just before intermission, it hit me; it was almost as though a lightbulb went off:  no one was making me come back after intermission.


I often wonder if anyone stayed to see the end of the play.

No comments:

Post a Comment